Sunday, May 3, 2009

GRADUATION: The Good, the Bad, and the Richard Herman

So I suppose it's about time to leave a sentimental goodbye. This, of course, on a blog that admittedly I have abandoned for long stretches at a time. Nonetheless, there has been a therapeutic feel to each post, and perhaps I will take this up full time after the academic requirements are lifted.

Still, it is probably appropriate at this time to reflect a bit on college as a whole. And, if I were to be completely, utterly honest, I would lose many friends, alienate acquaintances with vulgar language and brash judgments, and God knows what other repercussions would come as a result if I tried to encapsulate this whole experience.

We will find ourselves asked many times throughout our lives, "So how awesome was college?" Perhaps not the same words, but the same idea. There will, inevitably, come a time where we say "Oh, man, it was awesome." I would even say that now.

Still, it has to be said, and it feels as if our bureaucratic academia-minded administration could care less about ANY of this . . . what about what goes on outside of the classroom?

See, the hardest thing for me to reconcile from the get go was that these four years are, in fact, the biggest transitional phase in any of our lives . . . period. There are high points, but there are just as many heartaches, heartbreaks, and damn near nervous breakdowns. I know I'm not the only one of that opinion.

I didn't know it coming in, but these past four years have felt like I've been put through the wringer with mixed results. It will all end up benefiting me as a person, but in the present, as we young adults face certain things for the first time, it is downright exhausting.

When I hear of the importance of attending class (and I attest, it is important for the classes that are relevant to your future, but Drug Use and Abuse? Why would I attend that amateur dog and pony show with any regularity?) I feel compelled to ask the academia-minded, high horse-riding administrators if they EVER, in their lives, had times where frankly some dopey elective didn't mean a damn thing to them?

Their honest answer would be "Yes" . . . at least I would hope.

But for the sake of fundraising, they wouldn't dare. For the sake of political correctness and portrayal of our fine, yet flawed university, as a beacon of knowledge, they will diplomatically address any issue as politely as possible. For instance, the University Police arrested 25 people on drug charges last Tuesday. Robin Kaler, spokesperson for the Chancellor, said the U of I doesn't condone any drug usage. Thanks Robin, how enlightening - I take this as an admission you never smoked a joint in your life?

Cynicality is not a trait I desire to carry, but damned if the powers that be don't exacerbate notions that would encourage such pessimism.

To my friends, fellow students, and, to be honest, the vast majority of teachers . . . you have all been great people, great influences, and people that have taught me at least one thing about myself or the world in general.

To the University . . . I look forward to when you send me the first letter for the alumni association. Depending on my mood, I'll either send it through a paper cutter, or I'll burn it with my charcoal before I plop on some T-bone steaks and smoke a Cuban.

Construe it however you like, and label me a budding Anarchist (ahem, trust me, I'm not at all) but the bigger the business, the less genuine the message.

4 comments:

  1. This kind of frustration can be found in big and small business alike. Your sentiments are understandable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, TR. The larger an institution gets, the more bureaucratic, useless things start popping up, like drug use and abuse attendance policies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing about this post... you probably wouldn't have thought about any of this at all had you not attended college. So it's kind of a catch-22. Don't go to college, and you miss out on all of it's enlightening experiences. Go to college, and you start to understand the shortfalls of college. Tricky.

    But yes, I agree with many of your points, especially after struggling to attend my world music class. It's not that I don't want to go, it's that I honestly feel more close-minded after attending each class. I won't go into details, but the class very much promotes ethnic stereotypes. I would LOVE to elaborate it you want me to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. TR, you are absolutely right. This stuff runs throughout any size operation. I think that it can be a bit disillusioning (is that a word? Man, haha, let's hope for an editing blog it is) when an institution that presents itself as some enlightening beacon of knowledge is very, very flawed.

    But, like Patrick said, it is a Catch-22. For instance, I can look back at the public schooling I had, and Lord knows the ineptitude in those ranks is startling. Nonetheless, it probably is all about the experience, the good and bad.

    And yeah, man, elaborate on the world music class. I think I have an idea what you may be referring to . . .

    ReplyDelete